Thursday, January 27, 2005

Overturning Roe v. Wade

The ever-strident Ann Coulter penned a column marking the anniversary of Roe v. Wade. Excerpt:

Abortion was not terribly popular when Roe v. Wade was first concocted in 1973 – by seven male justices and their mostly male law clerks. Abortion – like other liberal priorities over the years including forced busing, gay marriage and removing "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance – is an issue liberals believe is best voted on by groups of nine or fewer.

...

In the intervening 32 years, abortion has only become less popular. People have seen sonograms of smiling fetuses, they've seen the mangled remains of aborted babies, they've heard the ghastly arguments from NARAL termagants, and they've seen untold women marking the birth dates of their terminated children with weeping and despair.

In a Los Angeles Times poll a few years ago, 57 percent of respondents said they believed abortion was "murder." Seventy-two percent of women and 58 percent of men said they thought abortion should be illegal after the first trimester. (Among men currently listed on NBA rosters, the figure was even lower.)

It's always amazing to me that many of the same people I see at the grocery store, the people that root for the same Jayhawks, Chiefs and Royals as I do, the folks who live in this same great nation as I do...come to such a horrific conclusion about abortion. They justify it in the most amazingly illogical ways.

It's really quite simple.

I was adopted as an infant in 1966. Abortion was legal. My biological mother had a choice to make, and if she'd chosen abortion I wouldn't be sitting here typing at my keyboard right now...just as if someone had snuck up behind me and put a bullet in my brain yesterday. I'd be dead. Thankfully she made the choice to give birth and, at the same time, give me life. It's not a choice she should have been given, but I'm glad she made the right one.

I am glad that the abortion rate has declined. The education of America--the changing of minds and hearts--has been pretty effective. I also believe the rate of teenage pregnancy has declined. These are very good signs. However, as long as Satan rules the world and he's able to cloud the minds of otherwise normal people into thinking that killing babies is a good and justifiable outcome, we'll never have complete victory over this battle against infanticide.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home