Sunday, November 21, 2004

Christian "moderates"

PBS' Religion & Ethics program ran a piece entitled "Christian Moderates." It is an interesting segment on the religious divide between mainstream (religious left or moderate) and evangelical (religious right) in America.

Reverend BOB EDGAR (General Secretary, National Council of Churches): "This election has been around fear, around extreme fundamentalism, and around talk television and talk radio that has moved far to the right, and those of us who are in the middle, what I call "middle church," need to recognize that we can't give away the language or the argument or the ability to speak clearly on these issues."

To me, those in "middle church" might as well call themselves "lukewarm church" or "Laodiceans." And we know what Jesus said about the Laodiceans, right?

"I know all the things that you do, that you are neither hot nor cold. I wish you were one or the other! But since you are like lukewarm water, I will spit you out of my mouth!" (Rev. 3:15-16).


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home