Friday, July 01, 2005

Back from DC


I just returned from my weeklong trip to DC with my wife. Here I am in front of the White House. When we got to the middle of the WH there was a motorcade that left the area where we had been 10 minutes before. When we were heading over to the other side of the WH, there was a motorcade coming back. Must have been a McDonald's run!

We also spotted a secret service guy protecting some elderly gentleman in a Starbucks. I didn't get a look at the protectee so I don't know who it was, but the secret service guy was easy to recognize with his curly-cue ear mike and, of course, the shiny black sedan they entered.

That was our first experience with DC. Kudos to the city. I'd always heard such horrible things about it...the crime and the filth. We did a lot of walking and subway riding and never once felt in danger or observed anything sinister. There were many homeless people begging for spare change along the way, and it seemed like there were more metrosexuals and homosexuals that manly men, but that was just an observation.

I was at a conference all week, so we only got to tour together for about a day and a half. We toured the Capitol building with a Russian intern from Senator Brownback's office. She is a student at KSU (getting a masters in Sociology). She really knew her stuff! Excellent tour.

We spent a lot of time in museums, including the Spy Museum, National History Museum and Natural History Museum.

If you haven't been there, you MUST do it! I'm anxious for my kids to be old enough so that we can take them on a history trip!

1 Comments:

At 12:07 PM, Blogger Travis said...

Awesome! I would love to go there!!! I bet you had a great time. Great picture!

The Blogging Boy Scout,
Travis

 

Post a Comment

<< Home